If you’re like most business owners, you wear many hats. You are likely juggling accounting, marketing, sales, and customer service – to name a few. But what about IT support? Do you have the time and resources to manage that yourself? If not, you may want to learn about the benefits of outsourcing IT support.
Here are a few benefits of doing so:
- You’ll save time and money.
- You’ll have access to expert knowledge and advice.
- You’ll be able to stay focused on your core business functions.
- You’ll improve your overall security posture.
- You’ll enjoy peace of mind knowing that your systems are in good hands.
- You’ll be able to scale your IT support as needed.
In this article, we’re going to cover these core topics; if you want to skip ahead, click on one of the links:
What is outsourced IT support?
IT outsourcing is the practice of utilizing an external service provider to supply some or all of a business’s IT services, including data storage and security, infrastructure management, IT strategy guidance, and help desk support.
Your organization’s productivity could be hampered whenever you have IT issues. Working with a managed IT service organization, on the other hand, can eliminate the day-to-day stresses of IT support, allowing you and your staff to focus on what matters most. Having an IT service provider that is outsourced will guarantee that you receive dependable and effective assistance.
What is a managed service provider (MSP)?
An MSP is an IT company that operates a customer’s information technology (IT) infrastructure and systems remotely or with in-house support services. SMBs, nonprofits, and government agencies hire MSPs to handle IT strategy and execute a pre-defined set of daily management functions.
MSPs often provide 24/7/365 monitoring services, allowing businesses to concentrate on enhancing their offerings without having to worry about lengthy system downtimes or service interruptions.
Some MSPs specialize in specific aspects of IT, such as IT strategy, while others focus on specific vertical industries, such as legal, financial services, healthcare, or manufacturing. Managed security service providers, for example, provide specialized cyber security services such as remote firewall administration on computer networks and other security-as-a-service solutions.
How does a managed service provider help businesses?
Managed service providers provide the following advantages:
- Offer experience & knowledge: A reliable MSP will provide a dedicated team of experts available when you need them.
- Assist a business with staffing shortages: Some larger companies maintain an in-house team, but they may outsource some of an organization’s responsibilities to IT companies to assist them in fulfilling staff shortages.
- Provide a competitive advantage for your business: While your competitor’s business owner may be handling their IT, you and your support team will be able to focus exclusively on business objectives.
- Ensure business continuity: Some MSPs offer a Service-Level-Agreement (SLA) guaranteeing business uptime and ensuring your business’s ability to continue operating after a catastrophe.
- Offer continuous network monitoring: Many MSPs provide 24/7 monitoring, allowing IT issues to be identified and resolved quickly.
- Enhance security: Client data is the most critical aspect of most businesses. An IT company can protect your systems from external threats while maintaining client data and sensitive competitive information.
- Reduce costs: If many unplanned repairs are required, paying a set monthly charge may be more cost-effective than paying per hour. Customer organizations can concentrate on enhancing their services while the MSP handles daily management responsibilities.
What are the challenges of managed service companies?
Despite their benefits, managed service providers may have drawbacks, such as:
- Not all MSPs provide security measures: Many MSPs lack a solid commitment to cyber security.
- Dependent on third-party companies: Organizations that rely on an MSP to perform simple functions may develop a dependency on them. The organization might suffer system downtime if the MSP fails to keep to the SLA.
- There may be a delay in receiving a response: An MSP may need time to examine the problem and respond.
- Inaccessible data: If the MSP uses a proprietary tool to manage and monitor client infrastructure, the data may not be freely available.
How are managed IT services priced?
Managed service providers often utilize one of the following pricing structures:
- Per-device pricing: An MSP will charge based on the number of devices they support for your business.
- Per-user pricing: This pricing model is more common for non-device-specific services, such as help desk and remote support.
- All-in-pricing: Not a common approach, but it can be made available to some clients. This pricing model refers to a flat rate covering your business needs and infrastructure. This model often includes a contract to review on regular schedules as a business can grow or contract, increasing the exposure to the MSP and the company.
- Tiered pricing: Available when an organization takes an a-la-carte approach to its IT services that they have outsourced. If a business does not need complete managed services, it may opt for specific packages, including tiered pricing.
- Monitoring-only pricing: MSPs provide services limited to monitoring and alerting services for an organization’s IT infrastructure.
Customers in these pricing structures pay a flat fee regularly, usually monthly.
What are the benefits of outsourcing IT support?
You’ll save time and money (compared to an in-house team).
Outsourcing your company’s IT support may be the most cost-effective solution, especially for small companies. Hiring your own team, creating internal IT services and operations, and managing them yourself is far more expensive than partnering with an IT company.
In our recent article titled IT Solutions to Business Problems, we did a cost-efficiency analysis between using an in-house team vs. a quality outsourced IT team and the labor costs that made the difference. It’s approximately four times more expensive to utilize an internal team.
You’ll have access to expert knowledge and advice (Which can also provide in-house support services).
An IT department cannot cover all the distinct talents and industries within the field of information technology. You are relying on your IT staff to manage many services by employing them internally. These services include network monitoring, cybersecurity, technology deployment, and cloud integration.
On the other hand, your MSP brings a diverse team of committed IT professionals with diverse backgrounds and experiences. Rather than have an internal employee overworked and spread thin across many difficult IT areas, your MSP can bring in a competent specialist from their crew that specializes in the competence required for the assignment.
You’ll be able to focus on your core business functions.
Your company’s IT is critical for smooth operations, but it isn’t what drives real revenue and contributes to your business success. Dividing your attention between basic business activities and IT concerns takes time away from what matters most, increasing profitability. Outsourcing your IT support allows you to focus on what you do best: expanding your business.
You’ll improve your overall security posture.
Ransomware was an R 329,966,800,000.00 global industry in 2021, so it’s clear it’s big business for cybercriminals. A team of dedicated security professionals is a strict requirement for any growing business.
You’ll enjoy peace of mind knowing that your systems are in good hands.
Nerds On Site has been servicing small-and-medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) since 1995, and we understand the challenges businesses face regarding their IT support.
Our team of Nerds is committed to providing each of our clients with the best possible IT support & experience. We don’t just react to problems as they arise; we proactively manage your IT so that potential issues are dealt with before they cause any damage.
You’ll be able to scale your IT support as needed.
As your business grows, so too does your need for IT support. An MSP can quickly scale its services to meet the changing demands of your company, ensuring that you always have the level of support you need.
This is in contrast to an in-house IT team, which can be quickly overwhelmed as the company expands. With an MSP, you can be confident that your IT needs will always be taken care of, no matter how big your company gets.
Nerds On Site provides reliable managed services in South Africa
Outsourcing your IT support is a smart move for any business. It’s more cost-effective than maintaining an in-house team, and it gives you access to expert knowledge and advice.
You’ll also be able to focus on your core business functions, improve your overall security posture, and enjoy peace of mind knowing that your systems are in good hands.
Contact Nerds On Site today to learn more about how we can help you take your business to the next level.