As most of you already know, Joomla 1.6 was released back in February. But what did they change?
These are some of the major features offered:
- Auto-update Extension — Much like WordPress has a built-in plugin manager and auto-update tool, Joomla now does, too. This is great for users who have multiple sites with lots of extensions to manage.
- Template Styles — This is one of the more user friendly features of Joomla 1.6. Previously, making changes to a template for just one aspect of a site meant creating a new template and changing the options you wanted to change manually. That worked, but it presented a lot of problems when trying to update a design as a whole. With template styles, designers can make variations of the same template that can be applied to specific sections or pages within the site.
- Enhanced Media Manager — Now supporting multiple-file uploads.
- Package Installations — This lets a developer create a single package that will install multiple extensions at the same time.
- No More Sections — Sections are gone but categories remain! You can also create endless sub-categories..
The only major downfall to the release of Joomla 1.6 in February is the limited selection of viable templates to choose from. But I\’m sure that is going to be resolved soon enough.